When working around hazardous chemicals daily, just how dangerous they really are can slip our minds. Industrywide, safety is a major component of chemical processing. Here at Moon Fabricating, safety is the number one priority — for ourselves and our customers alike. Therefore, our custom made chemical storage processing tanks are no different; safety is paramount in their fabrication and use.
For chemical storage tanks, loss of tank integrity or system failure can ultimately cause human or environmental health hazards, liabilities, financial losses, and even impact the future viability of your business based on potential reputation damage or lawsuits. It’s of the utmost importance to properly plan, install, and maintain safe chemical storage tanks to prevent any hazards.
Plan for safety
As you design and utilize your chemical storage tanks, be aware that tank failures can cause deadly chemical tank fires or explosions. Tank spills can also be damaging, and typically result from pressure, overfills, and even tank ruptures. All these events are incredibly dangerous, so it’s important to avoid them at all costs. Keep these components in mind as you plan for the safety and longevity of your tanks:
- Location — Whether designing tanks for aboveground use or below depends on contents, weather, and tank materials. Make sure your tanks are properly located for utmost tank safety and viability.
- Material — Constructing tanks with the proper materials and in the correct shapes for your system needs is incredibly important. Failure to do so can result in tank failures and corrosion, which can ultimately lead to dangerous working and environmental conditions.
- Proper use — Depending on use cases, certain tanks are safer than others. Make sure trained professionals utilize your tanks in the proper manner to prevent failures, contamination, and other environmental or human hazards.
- Training — Ensuring you have a well trained staff is also key for tank safety. Employees must know what to look for to detect failures before they become safety hazards and how to handle issues should they arise. Also, it is imperative workers know what to do in the event of an actual failure or risk.
- Linings — Fitting your tanks and associated piping with corrosion resistant linings can better prevent deterioration that can contribute to tank failure. These linings can help protect the outer tank and its inner contents, preventing leaks and contamination.
- Expert advice and installation — Partnering with tank fabricating and installations experts to design and install your tanks can enable you to better meet your facility needs and ensure you have the right tank designs and compositions for any job.
While utilizing chemical storage processing tanks over time, it’s crucial plant managers and operators continue maintaining their tanks to reduce hazards and prevent tank failures. Regular maintenance and inspection are vital to detecting issues that can lead to breakdowns. Reducing operational hazards — including improper conditions, materials, and uses — is also necessary for risk mitigation.
For more information regarding chemical storage processing tanks or any of the other fabricating services we offer, please contact us through our website or call us at 765.459.4194. At Moon Fabricating Corporation, every job we do is customized for you.